Friday, January 25, 2013

My book list of 2012



The True Measure of a Woman: You Are More Than What You See (Inner Beauty Series)Unglued Participant's GuideThe Meaning of Marriage: Finding Happiness in Your Most Profound RelationshipLioness Arising: Awaken the Power of the Untamed Life

here is a list of some of the books that I read this year that really have impacted my head and heart.
The last one Lioness Arising is one I am still reading through right now, but I know its a good one!

1. The Reason for God-I finished this one recently. Its one of those books that I will read a few time more, as its a deep philosophical book. In other words..it uses lots of big words:) *grin* Why I loved this book is that I am the type of person who goes off of her emotions more than logic. Most of the time anyways. So for me to explain to people why I believe what I do is sometimes hard because its something that I have felt. I know God is real because I have experienced him, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that I haven't doubted him and his existence in my life. What this book is explain to people why God has to exist. It answers all the hot button questions that people ask when seeking out Christianity. For example, why would a loving God send people to hell? The second part of this book goes beyond that. It goes from saying ok, so now I have proven to you why there has to be a God, but now I am going to tell you why you should believe in him and follow him. Needless to say, I loved it. I have never knows how to fully explain to an athiest or agnostic why God does exist if the situation arises. But now I understand their point of view, and now I have words to explain mine. Make sense? Anyways, I loved this book, and I am loving this author right now!!

2.The Meaning of Marriage-This is the fist book I read from Tim Keller, and I can say it changed my life. I highly highly recommend it. It will change your whole outlook on marriage. I am not saying it will solve all your problems and change everything overnight but it will give you an amazing new perspective on marriage. I was so fired up and teary eyed reading this book. I felt like for the first time I finally get it!!

3. The Wheat Belly-This was a really interesting read for me. I have struggled with food issues, and stomach problems for years. I spent A LOT of money years ago going through the whole naturpathic route to get better, but i found the diet was way to constrictive for me to stick with it. What this book did was help me understand the question I had. How can something that people in biblical times ate be so bad for us?? When i started to understand its not the same thing it started to make sense. So back in the summer we went of wheat. Modern day wheat. And I right away could tell the difference. I tried dairy too but it was to hard to get enough fat and protein in me, and again through elimination process I found that wheat was my worst culprit. So here's what do in our family. We eat some gluten free stuff. I found this great mix from a bakery in new west called cloud 9, and its fantastic. I was so excited when they started selling the mix at our local farmers market. My dad bought me a bread machine to make fresh bread for my whole family, and so I am:) Its great! I have made pizza dough as well, which I am still trying to perfect! We eat ancient grain pasta. So Kamut pasta from superstore. I love to bake with spelt flour, its delish!! And then once in awhile we have the regular modern day wheat. I have yet to find a tortilla shell that I like, and we LOVE mexican around here, so again everything in moderation:) I find this way, its a lifestyle change that we will stick with! and not just a temporary fad!

4. Unglued-My mom got this book for me for christmas. I think she was trying to hint something?:) anyways, such a good book. I flew through it in two days! It really helped me understand some things about getting a hold of my emotions. I can be real and say I struggle with patience with my children. I loose my cool and raise my voice, and am not proud of it. I can give all the excuses, of how tired I have been, and how much has been going on in my life, and having young children can be hard, but its no excuse. So its an area that I am working on. It also really helped me in learning how to deal with conflict in my relationships as well. I recently had someone be "short" and "cold" with me in a message. And my first reaction was, well I will show you..not that I ever would as I am a classic conflict avoider..but instead I prayed and asked God to give me the words to be the bigger person and extend grace,.,,so hard,...but I know so important for me and shaping my character. Again, this is a book I will probably read five more times.

5. The Measure of a Woman-I didn't realize till my dad gave me this book how much I struggled with this. I know i have been struggling in certain areas, but when they ask you the question at the beginning of the book what are you measured by. I realized I had no clue. I mean, I could probably list off a bunch of random things, but to break it down into a few core statements; I didn't have the answer. Now I do:) And I am starting to get it and process it and work towards this. Again, always a process and a marathon. Not a sprint! Such a good book!

6. Lioness-Now that I figured out what I am measured by, and the tools I have. Its now time to learn how to use them:) its time to step out of my fears and insecurities and be the woman God designed me to be. So I am reading and learning right now:)

So there is my list!! Hope you read some of these gems, they will change you, I can guarantee that..if your heart is open:)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks for the ideas! I haven't read any of those books (you know me, I like my fiction) but I'm feeling inspired!
At out women's group at church one group is doing a study on Lioness Arising and I'm hearing great things!