Thursday, August 13, 2009

When a Woman meets Jesus

I had a coupon to House of James and figured I would put it to good use. I always like having two books on the go, one fluffy read, or fiction I should say, and one with a little more depth, insight, teaching or self help. So the book I decided to pick up is call the When a Woman Meets Jesus. Its about understanding as a woman how to experience the love of Christ..the man who will love us more than any other man. So far I am quite happy with my book and thought I would share some of the insight. It breaks the chapters down into different topics of different woman in the bible and relates them to us today. The first chapter is about the flawed woman. The pressure for perfection is sometimes so overwhelming, I know in my life it is. We compare ourselves to other moms, woman, their talents and think why can't I be as good as them? I remember in school to, getting decent grades in most subjects but I would always focus on the one subject i did not as well in. Or how at a job, if you get ten praises, and one critique, we focus on that one critique..why is it that we strive for perfection so bad?? Where does this come from, and why do we do it?? This chapter gives us a perfect example of how God can use a flawed woman..as he did with Mary. Instead of choosing a well educated, wealthy, high societed woman in the bible, he chose to use a simple young girl who had nothing to offer but herself. Mary's mentality is all I can give is my best..and for God that was and is enough.
This really challenged my heart as I struggle in this area so much. I want to be good at so much, and battle feeling like a failure so often. But what really hit me when reading this chapter was how selfish striving for perfection is. If we are so busy focusing on ourselves and what we need to do to conqure the world and make everything around us perfect where does that leave room for God to do what he wants to do? And also who wants to be around someone who's perfect..that is just intimidating and annoying:)

So I challenge myself with this and you today..walk away from perfection, get a little messy, make some mistakes, be real and honest and let room for God to start working in your life..beause that when I know the fruit will come!!

Stay tuned for chapter two!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like a good book! Thanks for the review, I look forward to more!

Nadine said...

HEY, I should get it too! Then we can have another mini book club. It sounds like a great one so far. Hmm, I think I'll have to pick that up.