Thursday, December 2, 2010

Traditions

I grew up in a pastors home, which means a couple of things. Well, many things actually, but moving around is one thing that comes with the territory. Well for us it did anyways. My childhood was really stable, wonderful actually, and even though we moved houses, our church, and school stayed the same. It was wonderful. We had some wonderful traditions, that I loved! And have so many cherished memories in my heart. But in 1995 we moved. and that move changed me life. Unfortunately not so much for the better. My highschool years were tough. I have some very fond memories of that time, but also a lot of pain. After highschool I was searching, high and low, for a place that felt like home again. I moved back close to the area i grew up in to try and rekindle my childhood memories, but life was different now, and it took me a while to realize that you can't go back; you can only move forward. I spent a few years living back in "my" city..yes Vancouver is my City, and I loved it! that is a time I will cherish forever, and will be so grateful that I did it! it was my time, time to find my wings, find myself, and have some fun:) In 2006 I realized that my wings were tired and it was time to find roots, and so I did. I did in a place that i never thought I would, but isn't it usually the things we don't plan and let HIM plan go so much better than our plans?? I am just saying....:)
My dream now is to stay rooted. If God calls us somewhere else, than I will obedientely go, but at the same time I secretly pray that this can always be home. Not because I love the smell of fertilizer; no...because I want this for my chilren. The thing that I have been searching for and feel that I missed out on I want to give to them. Roots, a home, and lots and lots of fabulous traditions! We are still working out the kinks in the tradition area, and they will take time to grow and develop but I know they will come, and I am so looking forward to that!!
I am not sure what this holiday season will look like yet, but I will share after its all said in done the things we did, and loved, and wont do again:) This weekend I am looking forward to a baking day with friends...maybe this will become a tradition?? I am doing a cookie exchange with some of my friends out here and this will be year 2 of that...one that I think I quite like!!

So what are some of your favorite holiday traditions??? What do you dream about this time of year for your kids???

No comments: