Monday, September 12, 2011

Thicker Skin

If anyone asked me if I thought parenting was hard I would say this. I don't find parenting at home all that hard. Tiring at times, yes..exhausting at times, yes!! But, the only times that I have struggled with being a parent, where you can't go to sleep at night, or let things go so easy is when it comes to parenting around other parents..thats when life gets tricky for me. I am a people pleaser by heart, I want everyone to "like" me, to make everyone happy, and to please. But now that I am married and my world also involves to people with very different personalities that I can't control, Ihave really had to grow and stretch my patience, my control issues, and overall learning how to let things just roll off my back..not the easiest task for me;) But I am learning. I am learning that when my 2 year old has a melt down in the grocery store; that that is life, and by tomorrow it will be forgotten:) I am learning that when crotchety old woman at my friends wedding this weekend, who are the "church coordinators" keep telling the little kids to be quiet while they are ever so patiently waiting to perform their tasks, and when they make a comment about how this is the problem of having young ones in a wedding..and than I look at my bride friend who just snickers with me..I just laugh it off:) Their issue not mine...I am learning that when I went for my ultrasound this Friday and joked how this baby couldn't stop wiggling, just like its sister, and that I am in trouble, and the ultrasound tech proceeds to tell me that sometimes thats the parents fault, when the child is so busy and I need to harbour her energy...I laugh, and ignore it:) Anybody know how to get a 19 week old fetus to sit still, you let me know:) Anyways, I am learning. I am learning to get some thicker skin, as it just has started. I am learning that I need to go with the flow, and work with the situation, and that I am not always going to make the right decision in the moment but those are learning moments, and those are great too! I am learning that as long as I am staying to true and authentic to what I believe to be true, and right with God, than nothing else matters. I am learning, oh how I am learning..

And than there are the moments that God gives us to keep us going..when people affirm what you are doing and what a fantastic little person you have;) and than the mommy heart glows..and it grows, and it keeps you going for the next round of punches, because at the end of the day its working.

3 comments:

Christy said...

This is so timely for me :) Paisley was having a full blown meltdown in Superstore today and I have four people (all older women than me) come up to me and tell their grocery shopping horror stories with their kids, laugh with me, and offer me hugs! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

The other day we were at Krause Berry Farm - outside - and Bryson was screaming. An old lady muttered under her breath something about "If that was MY child..." I gave her a "look" but what I should've done was asked her what she would do! And I couldn't help but think that she doesn't know Bryson at all, his circumstances or Krista's, for that matter. Who the heck is she to judge?!?

All that to say... it happens to everyone!

It's much easier to judge than to praise, for some reason. I'm learning so much from being a Mom, just like you are! And when I make mistakes, I take that as an opportunity to teach Kenzie how to ask for forgiveness and to demonstrate humility and grace to her. I don't think God asks for much more from us!

Not to mention, these crazy pregnancy hormones! I've struggled with my patience levels since being pregnant... I don't know if you can relate! I'm learning to cope but I think these little girls are so perceptive!

Anyways, thanks for sharing your journey! :)

Laura said...

Just read Meghan's blog and was going to tell you about it... then I saw that you commented! :) See, you're not alone :)

P.S. My new strategy for grocery shopping... getting a grilled cheese sandwich from McDonald's on the way. Once Kenzie starts fussing, I give her a little piece at a time. Usually holds me out for most of the shop! :) (Perhaps not the most healthy thing ever... but you gotta do what you gotta do!)