Friday, January 20, 2012

Word for 2012

So I have had this word on my heart for a while now, and ironically enough I figured it was time to write it down because this week it has already been put into practice. My word is a little different than others as its not an adjective or a verb, but a noun. My word for this year is HOME. After working crazy shift work hours for the past year and a half I was missing being at home with my girl so much because I really loved the time and place we were in right before I went back for work. And the great thing about working part time is that it really makes you appreciate the time you do have at home. The hardest part for me was weekends. I hated working weekends because I wanted to be home with my two favorite people desperatly. So you would think when I went on medical leave back in December as an early start to mat leave, as i was physically just done with my job(pregnant on your feet, in a physically demanding job 30 hours a week, not so fun*grin*), that I would be thrilled. And dont get me wrong, apart of me was, but there was another part of me that was terrified of starting what felt like a new life, again, for the millionth time. I am a creature of routine, I thrive in routine and consistancy, but for the past few years we have not had that at all..well actually ever since we got married its been that way to the point that I finally starting to accept the fact that this is just life:)*grin*
Anyways....back to how my word came about:) well, when I went on mat leave the first time, it was good, but there was days a was definitely bored. I don't have a huge community out where I live and I wasn't going to get in my car multiple times a week to have entertainment. Plus, lets face it, play dates and going places is a lot easier with a baby vs a toddler:) So now this time around its a whole different world. Play dates get complicated because babies just don't lay there anymore..toddlers move, and talk and fight..and and, so thats a whole new world. Its great in the spring and summer when they can run free, but confining a few in a home for a few hours can get nutty:) We still do it, but again, not the same! Going anywhere with a toddler is just different, and well my kid likes to be home. We do a lot and try and go on adventures, but on a tight budget in the winter this gets tricky:) So again, going on leave made me panic a bit. I knew I would be busy once the baby comes, but trying to think of things to do to keep my 2.5 year old busy 7 days a week seemed a little daunting. So this is how I came about to my word. The last couple of months i have been on quite an interesting process with God, and its been really good. trying at times, painful, as most emotional and spiritual growth spurts are, but good, really good. So with this new baby soon to arrive, I really have been trying to come to accept my soon to be new circumstances, and this week was a great test of these circumstances. I love my home, I love being at home, I love my down time, I love being with girl...but, I also don't do well being isolated. I am an extrovert, I need people, they energize me, fill me and make me better. And I can feel that when my cup doesn't get full. So this last week with our lovely snow storm, and being stuck at home all week was quite a challenge for me..but I have to say, I did great! I felt really calm and at peace and wasn't going to crazy at all. Nutty at times, and disappointed in fun plans that had to be cancelled, but I made the most of it. I know this next season of my life is going to have me home a lot, and I am really trying to find peace in that, and find little things to do that don't take me away from being present for my kids but still fill me in my home environment and bring me joy:) So that is my long winded answer at how I came to my word...finding contentment in just being at home with the people who need me most, but yet getting that balance of me time to fill my cup and rejuvinate so that I am better for them!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Love it! That is a GREAT word! What an exciting {and busy} season you're heading into!