Thursday, February 4, 2010

Expectations

I have read a few different things on this subject lately and it really has been on my mind. I have always been a person who I would say lives by high expecation. I have high expectations for myself, and my life, but unfortunalty sometimes that gets carried over to other people.
So God has been humbling my heart lately in this area. I am starting to learn to put expectations aside, and live with a heart of expectansy. I am learning to trust God to do great things in my life, but I am not giving timelines, ideals or rules to what those things look like.
The other person who I have had a very humbling experiece with this in my life is my poor hubby. Well, first of all it has started with me. Learning to let things go, not treat myself like a failure everytime I don't do something exactly as I "expected" myself to do it..basically I am learning to give myself a break and take things as they come. Truth be told, becoming a mom has been a great way for me to learn how to do this. Coming into this 7.5 months ago, I had a lot of expectations. Some of them were met, some of them exceeded, but some were a big slap in the face. I have learned when I don't live a life expecting so much, but enjoying the moments as they come in whichever form they come, life is so much richer and sweeter! And as stated above, the other person who I have had to learn to give a break to is Daddy D. Three months after we got married Dave entered his level 2 of his carpentry apprentice. I knew this was going to be a rough ride, as he completed his first one while we were dating, but I had no idea how hard it was going to be. As a new wife, I had "expectations" of the role my husband would fullfill in my life, and in those first three months, those expecations were met because we were in newly wed bliss. But, as soon as Dave began school, everything changed, and boy was that a slap in my face. I felt so empty so alone. What happened to this independant woman who use to live on her own????? When did she get so needy??? Well, two years later, and I have become a lot wiser. Reading the book a Sacred Marriage changed my outlook. And interestingly enough, recently it has been coming up again in different things i have been reading. And interestingly enough, Dave just happens to be in school right now, finishing his fourth year...one week left!!woohoo!!
Anyways, God has really been challenging my heart to lean on him more to fill me up, and I am learning what role my husband is to play in my life VS the Role of Christ. This isn't always an easy learning curve, and its painful some days. Some days I just want to scream..hello!!Pay attention to me..put down the book and fill my needs for love!! But we don't always get what we want now do we?? Shocking, when we push men they pull..but when we serve they come running.
So, as I continue to walk this learning curve, I put my expectations aside and just let God do his will in my life. His will always seems to work out better anyways:)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Thanks for sharing.....I can definitely relate to those expectations we put on ourselves because we think other people expect things from us.