Wednesday, May 26, 2010

24 hours

Its amazing sometimes what can happen in 24 hours. In 24 hours you can go from being single to being married. In 24 hours you can go from being pregnant to holding a sweet baby in your arms and say those sweet words, I am a mommy! In 24 hours your whole world can flip upside down with something that rocks you to the core. In 24 hours, you can develop a new, deeper, and much more beautiful understanding of what it means to love...and that is what happened to me. 24 hours ago we had a first around here, our first trip to the emergency room. Addy had been spiking fevers for the past two days, and I was starting to get concerned. When your 11 month old curls up with you on your chest gripping to your hair and falls asleep you know something is not right in that little body. So exactly 24 hours ago we packed her up and off we went. Three hours later we were home with a deliriously overtired baby, a broken fever and a prescription. Those three hours in the hospital are something I will never forget. Watching your baby look around so innocently with amazement, trusting that everything is going to be fine because mama is here. Watching my baby girl scream bloody murder as she has to sit on a bed while a big machine takes her picture. Syringe feeding your baby water and apple juice desperately trying to get that pee sample. Watching your baby come to the point in the night where she has accepted this new hospital room and lets go, embraces the situation and toy in hand and enjoys the moment(oh yeh, and maybe a good dose of tylenol had something to do with that). But in those moments, more than anytime before I really felt like I was her mom, we were in this together, our little family of three. No phone calls to my parents, or D's parents, just us, and I knew in that room we were going to be ok..I can do this. Holding my baby this weekend in a way she hasn't wanted since being a newborn brought me to a new place. A deeper love, a richer connection, and a bigger mama bear instinct to know that she is my everything and nothing is going to stop me to make sure that girl is ok. She is going to fall, she is going to bruise, she is going to hurt, but at the end of the day I can make her understand that she is so loved and so significant and needed in this world, than that is enough for me, I have done my job. All in 24 hours....

No comments: