Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dad turns 60

What a busy weekend. It has come to a close..way to quickly as usual! But I wanted to get this post up quickly before the week takes off again..and because I am avoiding helping Dave clean up the kitchen at least for a few more minutes;) So my dad turned 60 on wed, so yesterday we threw him a suprise birthday party. He didn't want anything crazy, but we thought he deserved something special. And the thing that I learn more and more, at the end of the day, 30 years from now, I would rather have ten or so people show up at my birthday who know me like the back of their hand, than 100 strangers..just saying.. My mom and dad took off on a two day get away to Harrison and we got into party mode. It took a lot of planning, and co ordinating and working around my lovely work schedule, but we pulled it off. It was so worth it all to when dad walked in to see his family and friends there to celebrate with him. The sun came out in full force, and it was a beautiful evening. We put on a full greek spread, had yummy cake(thank you Shawna..it was fabulous!!!) and ice cream, and I feel everyone walked away with a full belly and a few more laugh lines from all the joy that was going on in the room..success! So try living with this man..see the size of his piece of cake, and than look at the size of him..where does it go?? non of us know! and yes it is annoying:) but I love him*grin*


sixty year olds don't need stuff..they have enough junk..so the gag gifts, and old age jokes were in full force:) Addy and Winnie helping dad open his presents!
YEs, she loves lemons..what a wierdo..but my wierdo:)*grin*
Cleaning up..I know, like I said what a wierdo..she loves to clean up, and I Love her for that!
The spread...and see the sun shining through..it was heaven!
Busted!!

Dad looking at the pics of his life up on the wall..so many memories..
Ok, I know what you are thinking, why is my kid wearing a touque in the spring time?? well it did snow the other day didn't you know??:) Actually, this toque means more to me than most people will ever know. When I was ten years old, my dad's best friend, and my god parents, lost their 17 year old son in a car accident. He was our big brother, he was family by love..and he was the first person I lost. That day is a day that is inscibed in my mind forever, and one that I will never forget. Yesterday, said adopted aunt and uncle brought me his toque and boots from when he was a kid...the water works were in full effect..I cant even begin to describe how touched I was and how cherished these pieces will be in my heart. and this girl loved them..however, I don't think Winnie appreciated her trying to put it on him..she tries..:) he is patient..they love eachother..
And yes she wears pig tails. And everytime she does I smile, because my girls in pig tails:)! and she is a big girl now..tear...


So happy sixth to the best dad around..we had a great time celebrating with you and realizing that old people are funny:)

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Beautiful post! You should send Dad the link, so he can see your pics. :) It was a successful day and lots of love and laughs.

Laura said...

Happy Birthday to Rod!! Looks like a great party!! And the cake is awesome! :)

So sweet about the toque and boots - wow! What a special keepsake and something for Addy to create fun times with :)

P.S. I LOVE her pony tails!! What a cutie!!