Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The true meaning of Christmas

About a year ago this time, my dad came to me with a proposal, well more a proposition. My dad had a dream to start an society to help woman and children in critical need in our town. So a year ago we began what is call Life Exchange Ministry's. My dad asked me to sit on the board which I was more than happy to do as this is something that I am passionate about. We have been doing some small projects this past year and focusing on raising money for some future endevours we would like to take part in, but God had a big plan for us just a few short months ago. It was God's time that a young school teacher just happened to call my mom's place of work, and just happened to be calling asking for support for her program. So my mom just happened to mention our society, and a meeting was set up. We have started off with doing lunches for these kids. Three times a week my dad takes them subway. So who are these kids. Well have you seen Freedom Writters the movie? first of all if you haven't, rent it! and if you have, its a very similar situation. there are 17 kids in this class. These kids are kids that society was ready to give up on. But this young teacher wasn't. So she started this piolet project. We decided to do this lunch program as these kids are highly malnurited and just getting a proper lunch can do so much for their focus, consentration, and much more! already we are seeing such a big change. Last week we also provided them with a christmas dinner! The big thing, that I got to take part in happened on Friday. Each kid got to make a list of specifc items they want. We picked the categories such as deoderant, toothbrushes, ect, and they picked their favorites..and man, do they know what they like:)! So I had the priveldge of doing the shopping, oh my, what an adventure!! but so much fun! So this Friday was the big day for the kids to get their stockings. Talking to my mom yesterday brought tears to my eyes, and still till this day! My dad was just going to go and drop them off, but the teacher wanted him to stay! What an experience, watching 17 teenagers unwrap their gifts! My dad was so overwhelmed at the experience. I was so worried that i didn't get them all exactly what they asked for, because that is what i am use to in my level of society..but not these kids. All they kept saying was wow, I can't believe I got what I asked for..the toothbrush I wanted, the socks I wanted..not the Wii I wanted. how amazing, how sad, but how amazing this was. The one the broke my heart the most..was one sweet boy, who my mom describes as quite withdrawn. He asked my dad if it was ok if he waited till christmas to open his because it probably would be the only thing he got to open on christmas..I still tear up as I write this. So this christmas, I hope this little story reminds you how blessed you are. I know things can be tight, and hard at times, trust me I know. But I also know how blessed we are, with clean homes, roof's over our heads, and presents to open with loved ones this Friday. So remember the true spirit of christmas, what Christ came to earth to do and if given ANY opportunity to pass this love along to anyone around you please do, don't hesitate that your gifts, food, love, open door isn't good enough, I have learned this week that it is MORE than you could even imagine! MERRY CHRISTMAS.....Love the Colbournes;)

No comments: